Saturday, October 31, 2009

My time at FSOSS

Yesterday morning, I attended the Free Software & Open Source Symposium, which is also referred to as FSOSS. At first, I thought there wasn't many people, but then I realized that they were all inside the classrooms. I figured it would be a swarm of developers on their laptops typing away during the presentations, but it wasn't. It was more like a huge group of people from many different areas talking and, even, helping each other about things. One of those areas that never seemed to interest me suddenly made me think during a presentation. 

The presentation that caught my attention was the one called Fame, Fortune, and Technical Writing by Dru Lavigne. What if programming doesn't work out for me later on? What can I do? From what I learned, being a writer would be an ideal choice for me. The workload is like any other job, but if you love writing, it will seem like nothing. The pay doesn't seem so bad. The hours are great, since you get to decide since you are your own boss. It just takes a lot focus in your work to be successful. Keep in mind, for me... this would be after few years of re-taking some english courses to polish my not-so-good writing skills.

In the end, it was a good experience to attend FSOSS and see what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment