Monday, September 28, 2009

Initial Project Plan

o What is my chosen project?

From the list of projects proposed by my teacher, I picked one of the Mozilla bugs for Thunderbird, Bug #515648 - which I will refer to as the Customizable Gloda Searchbar. You can find the report of the bug at this link. Based on the comments attached to the report, having the ability to customize the search bar by its width would, if stretched, allow users to see more clearly their lengthy search and, if shorten, add additional buttons to their toolbar. I chose this project, because it involved not only JavaScript, but CSS which I have wanted to get better at. In addition, it would be interesting to learn new things about Mozilla applications like XUL.

o What will your process be for doing this work?

My project page can be found at this wiki page. This page will be use to track my work. As well, people can follow me by visiting the bugzilla page for the bug and by talking to me on IRC(:mikey) on the Mozilla server in the channels #seneca and/or #education.

o Who do you need to know and who will you work with?

So far, I have contacted Christoph Grether and David Ascher. The first thing I needed to do was find to somebody to give me a better understanding of the bug – so who better to talk to than the one who reported it, Christoph. He was very helpful, because he gave me an example of what exactly he was looking for and, also, suggested other names of people in the Mozilla community that I should speak to. This lead me to David, who in his turn, gave me many great steps on starting this project: what I should read and what should I try making first (assignment) involving DOM and XUL. Hopefully, I will meet other helpful people as I move further in my project.

o Collaboration and Contribution

Feel free to visit and leave comments on any of the sites mentioned above – any help is appreciated. If anybody is working on a similar project as mine, such as working with Thunderbird toolbar, we might be able to help each other as well.

o What barriers stand in your way?

The things that I am most worried about is not knowing how to do things and not knowing what some things are. Like currently, my first concern is not knowing what Gloda is. I will probably run into more technical things as I dive deeper into my project. Hopefully, with all the reading that I will be doing, I will be able to overcome them.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you best luck with your project and success in future. Since you seem to be a nice guy, I'm looking forward to your work.

    BTW Gloda is an index based global search system. Thunderbird indexes all local mails for fast results. The global search is accessible via the searchbar. If you enter something in the searchbar and press the enter key, the results will be shown, along with a couple of other informations in a tab.

    -Christoph

    ReplyDelete