Well... Here's my journey in failing to build Thunderbird on my vista at home. On the Mozilla's Build Instructions webpage, I decided to follow the instructions "for the impatients". I went through each requirement line by line. My first obstacle was getting Visual C++ to install properly. During the installation, I ran into an error telling me that the Visual C++ needed to VS SP1 to run properly - so I downloaded it. However, when installing this one, I run into my second obstacle - an error saying that some program is missing or won't run with my patch. I spend an hour reading through forums - fun - to eventually finding a useful reply by a person on msdn forum. It was simply to install this other SP, before installing the recommended one. Once completed, it was smooth-sailing - well that's what I wished to believe...
Following the instructions, I entered the commands to get the source, setup the .mozconfig file, and lastly, build the application. I had no idea what it was doing whatsoever once it started building. It just kept going forever until I had my third obstacle, which I have no clue how to fix.
Hopefully, it will work the next time.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey there, I did a little looking around and there seems to be a possible issue where the library is not getting found, therefore the linker fails to find it... which of course creates a cascade of errors. Some solutions mention that if a file path has spaces in the names of directories, that this type of issue may arise. Others mention that maybe the libraries need to be in your path on your vista system for the linker to find them.
ReplyDeleteI'll be building Thunderbird soon on my Mac and will follow up when it completes to see if you've found a solution. I've posted a set of instructions for building Firefox, and there are some shared concepts with the various Mozilla products. Maybe its something in your mozconfig file. Take a look at it to see if you've identified all of the directions that it needs for Vista.
Goodluck,
Andrew
Linker errors results mostly from declared functions with no defined code (or as stated above, file missing).
ReplyDeleteTry moving the folder to an alternate folder, and follow their pathing a little more closely.
I had a similar problem building firefox because one of the root folders where I've placed the source code could not be "read" by the compiler (I still think it had something to do with Unicode)
If the file is missing altogether, try retrieving the repository again.
Regardless, good luck!