Monday, September 14, 2009

Week 1 - Reaction to the readings

I guess this is my first blog, so I should give a quick summary of myself. I am currently a student in my fifth semester of CPA at Seneca College. This fall, I am taking part of Osd600 to hopefully learn something.

Our first homework was to complete some readings and watch the film "Revolution OS", which you can find here. To be honest, I did not know much about open source until I watched the film. It is fascinating to see the evolution of open source - how a community of people around the world were able to work together and create many things. I never knew about the conflict regarding free software. It seemed like Microsoft were the "bad guys" which I find kind of disappointing since I use many of their products. Nevertheless, what fascinated me the most was that some people compared open source to communism, because both actually have similar ideas but are quite different.

No comments:

Post a Comment